Being a recruiter for AC Lion for over 5 years, I’ve seen the industry evolve and change in many ways. The constant I have observed and experienced first-hand is that recruiters still bring a tremendous amount of value to job seekers. Many potential candidates may not realize this fact, and think that it’s to their advantage to just apply directly. Most candidates also do not realize how many applications one posting on Indeed or Craigslist will receive in a given day, and if you really don’t stick out somehow, you will probably end up in that black hole online apps go to die.
Here are the top 9 reasons you should use a recruiter for your next job search:
- First things first: If you apply directly within a year’s time to a company, and then ask a recruiter for help, generally the recruiter’s hands are tied since you are already in the company’s data base. As a rule of thumb – check with your recruiter first if they have relationships at a certain company and can get you in. Even if they don’t, they might have insight for you and whether you should go there or not. Use us as a resource and guide.
- Put away the myth that your salary is affected by going through a recruiter: I don’t know where this rumor came from, but it’s not true! The companies we work with have set budgets for recruiting firms to help them be their eyes and ears. They understand the benefit we bring them as well, and would never dock your salary; we work as a team. We’re actually there fighting for your salary, and do it for you without the awkwardness of back and forth negotiation that you may not be comfortable with.
- Direct relationships with the hiring managers: I can’t speak for all recruiters, but at AC Lion, we have been recruiting in the internet space since 1996. We have thousands of clients that have been working with us since some of their inceptions, and we are highly trusted to deliver them top talent. This means if we vouch for someone, they listen! We also always get answers for you, whether it’s a rejection, interview, or offer; you won’t have to sit around wondering if your resume even made it past the abyss, or deal with flakey communications from overwhelmed hiring managers. Recruiters can also provide push back to a client rather than having them just delete you as a candidate. When warranted, we can combat their rejection and give you more of a chance than you might have had originally.
- We have more detailed information about the role: Sometimes, this info cannot be uncovered via a job spec or website; writing informative, yet easy to digest job specs is a skill, and many companies do not have the time or resources to really produce their best work in this regard. Websites also mainly give you an overview of the entire business, rather than the nitty gritty details of each role. We meet with our clients personally, speak with them numerous times on each job position, and prep you thoroughly before your interview. Some of our recruiters will even quiz their candidates to really drive it home.
- We can act as a middle man and buffer between the company and candidate: As a buffer, we act as middlemen where the candidate can speak freely about all hesitations, concerns, wants and needs. We can take all of that candid feedback, and reposition it in a way that is receptive to the hiring manager. We help with the sometimes awkward negotiation phase, and do our best to get you top dollar.
- Keeping you updated on timing and what the competition looks like: We have that insider information you always wanted to know, like how many other people are in final rounds, and what stage of the process they are in so we can best manage your expectations and timing with other opportunities you are exploring. We can also put a fire under our clients to move them to make a decision in regards to your timing.
- Constructive feedback: We won’t sugar coat anything; we want you to improve and grow, and if there is something we heard that will benefit you in the long run, we’ll give it to you straight. We try to be as transparent as possible, so that you know we really are working together in this. We want you to think of us more as your partner in crime rather than your recruiter. We are going to bat for you!
- Sometimes recruiters are the only ones that have access to certain jobs: Don’t limit yourself to what’s posted on job boards. We have the inside scoop on what companies are hiring now and in the immediate future, and a good amount of our clients ONLY use recruiters to ensure they get the best of the best. So if you’re working with us, know that we are always on the hunt to get you into the right company. Every role we work on is also active and real. Some job postings are just to collect leads, but aren’t actually open roles.
- We know the ins and outs of a company and your personality: We do this all day every day. We understand what our clients want, and whether the company will be the best possible cultural fit for you. That’s why we take the time to get to know you, and meet you if possible, before we start pitching you to companies. On paper, it could seem like your dream job, but we may know something you don’t. It needs to be a win-win situation for everyone, as with every hire. We also can help craft your resume appropriately for the exact role at hand, and call out the specifics to the hiring manager.
Have any questions or comments? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.